Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Father's Day Story, For Grandfather's who Make up the Difference!




Samuel J. WharryMy Grandpa was a Wise man...he often rested in his reclining chair with his bible in his lap...working in a Steel Mill supporting a large family, and their families...he was a garage barber on the side...he had a huge garden with fruit trees & vegetables...did his own landscaping, greenest lawn on the block...built his own brick BBQ pit with a smoker on one side and a metal resting cabinet to keep the cooked meat hot...then enclosed it by building a patio around this huge brick walled pit with it's own chimney...in addition to being a Master BBQ'r...way ahead of his time...he purchased 3 properties (one very prominent piece he owned was sold due to the lack of wisdom of the family :( Oh what it would have been worth now! He was a Man worth Running bath water for...and my Grandmother gladly did so...as she sipped her coffee in her China cups...she'd pour a little for me in this delicate china saucer! He was such a great example, and spoiled me so...there has been none who can be compared to that of Samuel Julius Wharry!  When he past away...my grandma said..."Well that's it for me, there will never be Another!"  
 Love, love, love My Grandpa!              

5 comments:

  1. Share Your Father's day Story with Me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idiocy of youth is often noticed by fathers as well as tolerated. I did not visit my father for ten years between his 55-65th years. But when I did, it was memorable. As I saw him drive up to where I was, I noticed his years and his thick gray hair and was reminded of how old he was getting. This brought my own mortality face to face with me. When he finally stopped, got out of the car to wait for me to approach him, I did so. We latched onto each other so fast, it was as if a vacuum took over the area. I knew I was wrong to stay away so long but I had imagined a hurt. The two of us embraced right there in the street and cried all over each other for more than five minutes. As we did so, the years and the imagined pain melted away. We never spoke of that moment again and continued to be close until his passing. He remains this day the kindest man I have ever known. Other men need to be taught to be kind but I have to be taught just the opposite. I close with the statement that, "I am truly my father's son."

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know how I left this out but...My cousin Cheryl Tennort reminded me, with her FB post..."Also that big infectious laugh he had"...it can never be forgotten...the Wharry Staple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Jimmie Wharry ~Facebook Message

    Our growing up at our grandparents was a special time. For all of us that were there all were bless to have that part of lives to experience. Gave me the life that I live now my kids and grandkids are my life, owe all to my parents and especially to good grandparents.

    ReplyDelete